Each of our hospitals with Maternity services has an experienced team of certified childbirth educators, who will help you prepare for your baby's arrival with informative classes on labor and delivery, newborn care and more. Some of our hospitals also have certified lactation consultants, recognized by the International Board of Lactation Consultant Examiners (IBLCE) and the International Lactation Consultant Association (ILCA), to provide guidance on breastfeeding.
Whether you're first-time parents seeking information on birth options or third-time parents in need of a refresher course, we're here to help. To further enhance the birth and parenting experience, your coach/support partner is encouraged to attend classes with you. Classes can be taken at any of our hospitals with Maternity services, but we recommend contacting the hospital at which you plan to deliver for information specific to that location and to arrange tours of the Maternity facilities.
Healthy Beginnings Classes
To register for classes at Baptist Hospital, click here.
- Childbirth Preparation Class – teaches Lamaze techniques of relaxation and breathing, postpartum care and discusses birth plans and Cesarean deliveries.
- Baby Basics: Understanding Your Newborn – teaches parents and caregivers how to care for, bathe and feed newborns.
For more information, please email firstname.lastname@example.org to speak with our class registrar.
Parent Support Groups
- Coming Soon
Bright Beginnings Classes
- Childbirth Preparation Class, Tuesdays, 6-8 p.m., Homestead Hospital Lime Room – teaches Lamaze techniques of relaxation and breathing, postpartum care and discusses birth plans and Cesarean deliveries.
- Breastfeeding Class – teaches expectant mothers about latching and positioning the baby, overcoming common challenges, learning baby’s hunger cues, realistic expectations, and when and where to seek help.
- Birthing Suite Tours, Mondays, 10 a.m., Wednesdays, 2 p.m., Homestead Hospital Third-Floor Lobby – provides tour of Maternity unit, including labor and delivery rooms, postpartum rooms, newborn nursery and Neonatal Intensive Care Unit.
Parent Support Groups
- Breastfeeding Support Group, third Friday of each month, 10 a.m., Homestead Hospital Third-Floor Lobby.
Registration is not required for classes or support groups. To find out more, call 786-243-8420.
Childbirth and Parenting Classes
Register for Classes at South Miami Hospital.
- Virtual Tour of South Miami Hospital Maternity Unit, 1 session, 1 hour, Free – provides tour of Maternity unit, including labor and delivery rooms, postpartum rooms and suites, newborn nursery and Neonatal Intensive Care Units.
- Virtual Prepared Childbirth Series, 3 sessions, 2 hours each, $75 per couple - This class prepares parents for labor and delivery using the Lamaze Techniques. We discuss the different stages of labor, how to manage pain and what to pack for the hospital. Epidurals, Cesarean Sections and inductions are also covered, as well as how the partner can support mother during labor.
- Virtual Preparing for a Vaginal Birth, 1 session, 2 hours, weekly in English, monthly in Spanish, virtual, Free - An informative class all about vaginal birth. Taught by two labor and delivery nurses, you will learn how to prepare your body, mind and hospital go-bag for a nice smooth delivery. We talk about the importance of stretching, optimal fetal position, when to come to the hospital, non-pharmacological and epidural forms of pain control, and how to use all of the labor room resources like peanut balls, CUB chairs, squat bars and birth mirrors. We also discuss inductions, doulas, and how to avoid perineal tears and episiotomies.
- In-Person Spinning Babies® Parent Class, 1 session, 3 hours, twice monthly, IN-PERSON, Free - Spinning Babies® is a physiologic approach to preparing for birth through the use of specific exercises, stretches, and positions. Two labor nurses will be teaching the Daily Activities, the Three Balances, belly mapping, and positioning during labor will be reviewed and practiced. Attendees need to come to class with their birth partner or a friend, and classes will be limited to 5 couples. Optimal timing to take the class is from the 2nd trimester on.
- In-Person Breastfeeding, 1 session, 2 hours, Free - Class covers the benefits of breastfeeding, how to recognize feeding cues, establishing a good milk supply and how to tell if baby is getting enough, getting baby to latch correctly and skin to skin contact. A prenatal breastfeeding class helps to increase confidence in breastfeeding. Partners are encouraged to attend.
- Virtual Preparing for Baby’s Arrival, 1 session, 2 hours, $40 per couple - This class covers layette planning, interview guidelines for pediatrician selection, car seat selection, nursery preparation, basic baby care and feeding choices. This session is open to all expectant parents and adoptive parents who want to better prepare for the baby's arrival.
- Virtual Parent Duty 101, 1 session 2 hours, $60 per couple - Practice putting on a diaper, t-shirt, and how to swaddle your baby, how to hold and burp baby, use the bulb syringe, and take baby’s temperature. Car seat safety and safe sleep practices will be covered, as well as characteristics of the newborn. This session is open to all expectant parents, adoptive parents and grandparents who want to better prepare themselves for the new arrival.
- In-Person CPR and Safety Class, 1 session, 1.5 hours, $25 per person – teaches how to perform CPR and steps for Obstructed Airway. Childproofing your home is discussed. For newborns up to 1 year old.
- Infant Massage Class, 4 sessions, 1 hour each, $65 per couple – This is wonderful way to bond with baby. It teaches techniques of infant massage and the benefits. A nice way to get out of the house and meet other moms.
- In-Person Baby Signs, 1 session, 1.5 hours, $60 per couple– teaches sign language techniques to communicate with baby.
Parenting Support Groups
- Great Expectations – a free program offered to all expectant parents planning to deliver their babies at South Miami Hospital. A registered nurse counselor is available for questions, and free monthly seminars about pregnancy and parenting are offered, as are discounts on products and services new parents need.
Beautiful Beginnings Classes
Register for Classes at West Kendall Baptist Hospital.
- Abbreviated Childbirth Class, 1 session, 4 hours, $65 per couple – teaches Lamaze techniques of relaxation and breathing, postpartum care and discusses birth plans and Cesarean deliveries in an abbreviated format. Ideal for busy parents-to-be or those who want a refresher course.
- Baby Basics: Understanding Your Newborn, 1 session, 3 hours, $50 per couple – teaches parents and caregivers how to care for, bathe and feed newborns and discusses postpartum recovery and coping skills for mothers.
- Basics of Breastfeeding Class, 1 session, 3 hours, $50 per couple – teaches expectant mothers about latching and positioning the baby, overcoming common challenges, learning your baby’s hunger cues, realistic expectations, and when and where to seek help.