The gastroenterology specialists at Baptist Health South Florida have decades of experience treating gastrointestinal disorders. We approach every patient individually, making sure we assess their condition thoroughly and provide the highest quality treatment.
Our gastroenterology team helps patients with a range of digestive and liver diseases. They also provide colonoscopy screening tests. We pride ourselves on our experience and our patient-centric service. Whether you’re a permanent resident or staying in Florida part-time, we’re dedicated to finding the right treatment for your needs.
What types of gastrointestinal conditions are treated at Baptist Health South Florida?
Our gastroenterology specialists treat a range of digestive and liver disorders, including:
- Ulcerative colitis
- Crohn’s disease
- Irritable Bowel Syndrome (IBS)
- Peptic ulcers
- Liver disease
How are gastrointestinal conditions diagnosed?
Baptist Health’s team mainly uses minimally invasive and non-invasive tests to diagnose gastrointestinal conditions. Some of the tests we use include:
- Upper endoscopy to examine the esophagus, stomach and small intestine
- CT scans
- CT scan with small bowel X-ray
- Elastography to diagnose liver cirrhosis
In some cases, especially in certain liver diseases, we may need to do a biopsy to diagnose your condition.
Which treatments are available with Baptist Health's gastroenterology services?
We focus on using medical therapies to treat gastrointestinal diseases and disorders. These treatments can include:
- Oral medicines, such as B12 replacement
- Cortisone enemas
- Biologic agents, which use antibodies to prevent certain proteins in the body from causing inflammation.
- Immunomodulators to suppress the immune system and reduce inflammation.
If your condition requires surgery, we will work closely with our surgical specialists to coordinate your procedure.
Our Approach to Gastroenterology Services
When you come to Baptist Health South Florida for gastrointestinal care you can expect:
- A team of highly skilled gastroenterologists who have decades of experience treating digestive diseases and disorders.
- A patient-centric approach that ensures you’re getting personalized care for your needs.
- Team members who take time to listen and explain every test and treatment option, so you feel informed and involved with your care.
Welcome to Compassionate Cancer Care
Treating and beating cancer takes expertise and innovation. But it also requires courage and compassion. Our unparalleled team of cancer care professionals sees you and your needs, and offers not only the most precise, personalized treatments but also an ear to listen and a hand to hold along your journey. Embracing you while eradicating your cancer: that’s the warmer side of care. Welcome to Baptist Health Cancer Care.
Where you receive your injectable therapy will depend on your diagnosis and the type of treatment. Some treatments come in a pre-filled syringe that you can administer at home. Other treatments need to be given at your doctor’s office or at an outpatient infusion center. Most treatments done in an infusion center take 30-90 minutes depending on the type of drug.
The frequency of colonoscopy testing varies for each person and depends on your health history, family health history and whether you have any concerning symptoms, such as blood in your stool. It’s important to have a conversation with your doctor about the risks and benefits of colonoscopy and how often you should undergo testing.
Colonoscopies are still the gold standard for colon cancer screening. Unfortunately, home testing options have been shown to have a 30-40 percent false-positive rate, which means the test incorrectly indicates there are signs of cancer. This means more people undergo follow-up colonoscopies that may not have needed one in the first place.
Locations for Gastroenterology Services
As the region’s leader in gastroenterology, we provide treatment at:
- 5701 Overseas Highway, Suite 17, Marathon, FL 33050
- 91500 Overseas Highway, Suite 205, Tavernier, FL 33070