Watch Now: Fruits, Vegetables and Weight Loss
1 min. read
Looking for a healthy way to lose weight? Here are five facts about fruits and vegetables:
- Fruits and veggies are low in calories and contain natural sugars and high fiber, which helps us metabolize the nutrients without spiking blood sugars the way fruit juices can.
- Reach for whole fruits. One orange has 60-80 calories compared to 120 calories in 8 ounces of orange juice.
- To ensure you are eating a healthy balanced meal have at least 1 cup of cooked vegetables or 2 cups of raw salad greens at lunch and dinner.
- Reach for 2 cups of fruit per day. This will help you reduce the portion sizes of other items on your plate, cut calories, and help you reach the required daily minimum of nutrients and vitamins.
- Juicing fruits and vegetables may be a quick, tasty way to get your veggies, but it is always best to ensure that your meals and snacks also contain actual veggies, as listed above. Blending is preferred over juicing, because when you use the juicer you lose the fiber.
For more information, including ideas for healthy snacks, please watch the video.
About Natalie Castro, M.S., R.D., LDN
Natalie Castro-Romero is the Chief Wellness Dietitian for corporate wellness at Baptist Health South Florida. She earned her bachelor’s degree in nutrition and dietetics from Florida International University. She completed her master’s degree in nutrition and exercise science at the State University of New York, University at Buffalo. Ms. Romero is certified in adult weight management and works passionately to improve the health of both adults and children. Her clinical experience includes working with patients suffering from gastrointestinal disorders and critically ill patients in intensive care. In addition, she has conducted research on eating behaviors and pediatric obesity. Her research has been published in several peer-reviewed medical journals.
Healthcare that Cares
Related StoriesView All Articles
December 22, 2022
2 min. read
March 1, 2022
4 min. read
February 25, 2022
4 min. read