November 17, 2022 by John Fernandez
Watch Now: Chef Norman Van Aken's Coconut Shrimp with Lime For Family Fit Fest
(VIDEO: Watch as Chef Norman Van Aken prepares a flavorful dish on the grill that combines shrimp and citrus to create a light entree.)
The countdown to Family Fit Fest continues. Today Chef Norman Van Aken prepares a healthy but hearty entree that combines shrimp, coconut, citrus and grilled vegetables.
Miami Dolphins Family Fit Fest Presented by Baptist Health South Florida will be held on Saturday, April 18, from 10:30 a.m. to 3 p.m., at the Doctors Hospital Training Facility at Nova Southeastern University, 7500 SW 30 Street, in Davie. Admission is free. The event will feature health screenings, interactive fitness activities, play zones, snacks and refreshments, raffles and giveaways.
To learn more about the event go to BaptistHealth.net/DolphinsFest
Coconut Shrimp with Lime
2 limes, zested and juiced
½ cup dried flaked coconut
½ cup coconut milk
¼ cup golden rum
1 tablespoon honey
24 extra-large shrimp, peeled and deveined
¼ cup cilantro, leaves picked and chopped
1 lime, thinly sliced
Salt and pepper
1. In a food processor or blender, combine the lime zest, lime juice, coconut, coconut, milk, rum and honey. Process until the coconut is finely chopped but not pureed. Transfer to a large non-aluminum bowl and stir in the shrimp. Mix well. Cover and refrigerate for 45 – 60 minutes. Remove from the refrigerator 15 minutes before grilling.
2. Prepare a medium-hot grill. Position the grill rack 4 to 6 inches above the fire.
3. Remove the shrimp from the marinade, taking care not to knock off any of the clinging marinade.
4. Oil the grill grates, place the shrimp on it. Season with salt and pepper. Cook, turning once, until the shrimp are crisp on the outside and opaque throughout, approximately 3-4 minutes per side. While the shrimp are cooking, place the lime slices on the grill as well, to char them.
5. To serve, remove the shrimp and lime slices from the grill. Toss the shrimp with cilantro, place on a serving platter. Serve hot.
All Rights Reserved by Norman Van Aken and Candace Walsh
Provided by ‘In the Kitchen with Norman Van Aken’