July 11, 2020 by Peter B. Laird
Healthy Recipe: Chicken Mango Pineapple Tacos
Tacos, a traditional Mexican dish, are easy to make and can be packed with anything in your pantry – rice, beans, eggs, chicken, fish and vegetables. The mixes make a tasty treat that can be served for breakfast, lunch or dinner.
In honor of National Pineapple Day today, we’re sharing this healthy and delicious Chicken Mango Pineapple Taco recipe, created by the registered dietitians at Baptist Health. Tropical fruits, such as mango and pineapple, can add distinctive flavor and a variety of nutrients to your diet. The salsa is nutritious, low in calories, versatile and can be added to salads, baked goods, sauces and other types of dishes.
Chicken Mango Pineapple Tacos
- Mango-pineapple salsa (recipe below)
- Shredded chicken
- Plain, non-fat Greek yogurt
- Diced tomato
- Shredded lettuce
- In a heated skillet, warm the tortilla.
- Add 1-2 tablespoons of each ingredient to tortilla, wrap up and enjoy.
- 1 cup ripe mangos, diced
- 1 cup diced pineapple
- ½ cup chopped red onion
- ½ cup chopped red pepper
- ¼ cup fresh cilantro leaves, chopped
- 1 large lime, juiced (yield about ¼ cup lime juice)
- ⅛ – ¼ teaspoon salt, to taste
- In a serving bowl, combine the mango, pineapple, red onion and cilantro.
- Drizzle with the juice of one lime and mix well.
- Season to taste with salt.
- For best flavor, let the salsa rest for at least 10 minutes.
Nutritional information (per 1.3 cup serving): Calories 35, Carbohydrate 8g, Sodium 75 mg, Sugars 5g.