May 22, 2019 by John Fernandez and Tanya Racoobian
Healthy Recipe: Caribbean Crab Salad
In combination with the freshness of fruits and vegetables, this tropical, Caribbean-inspired salad will help you maintain a heart-healthy diet and may lower your risk of heart disease and stroke. Rich in antioxidants and fiber, this salad makes for a delicious entrée to enjoy with the whole family.
This tasty Caribbean Crab Salad will be served at this year’s South Beach’s Seafood Week, Oct. 16–20, at Thursday night’s Crabs, Slabs & Cabs event. It can be served either as a delicious appetizer or main course. Enjoy!
Caribbean Crab Salad
Makes 4 servings or 6 servings if served as an appetizer
- 2 cups fresh Gulf Blue jumbo lump crab meat
- 1 Hass Avocado
- ½ cup pineapple, diced small
- ½ cup mango, diced small
- ½ cup red and green peppers, diced small
- ¼ cup celery, diced small
- ¼ cup scallions, thinly sliced
- 1 tablespoon cilantro, finely chopped
- Before you begin to prepare the crab salad, measure and dice the pineapple, mango, red and green peppers, celery, scallions and cilantro.
- Combine in a large bowl.
- Add the jumbo lump crab meat and avocado, and stir.
- ½ cup Extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- ¼ cup mango nectar
- 2 teaspoons dijon mustard
- 1 teaspoon garlic minced
- 1 teaspoon jerk seasoning
- 1 teaspoon salt `
- ½ cup Macadamia nuts, chopped and roasted
- Micro green cilantro, sprinkle to taste
- Mix ingredients in a small bowl and combine with the crab mixture.
- Serve in a serving dish and garnish with Macadamia nuts and micro green cilantro.
Nutritional Information (per serving); Calories 269, Fat 19 g, Saturated fat 3 g, Carbohydrate 26 g, Fiber 10 g, Protein 7 g.
ABOUT THE CHEF
Chef Bob Gilardi is executive chef and chief operations manager of dining services at Doctors Hospital. His culinary career at Baptist Health South Florida spans more than 30 years. Previously, Chef Bob served as executive sous chef at Hyatt Hotels and sauté and saucier cook at Chez Vendome restaurant in Coral Gables, Fla. Chef Bob is a graduate of Miami Dade College and Florida International University School of Hospitality Management.