August 6, 2020 by Lucette Talamas
Healthy Mother’s Day Curry Lentil Stew
Celebrity Chef Cindy Hutson, culinary ambassador for the Miami Cancer Institute, taught cancer patients and survivors how to cook curry red lentil and vegetable stew using all natural ingredients.
(The Baptist Health News Team hears from Chef Cindy Hutson as she prepares a healthy recipe at Miami Cancer Institute. Video by George Carvalho)
“With Chef Cindy’s expertise, [we learned] how to prepare foods from real ingredients for cancer prevention, for nutrition during the treatment for cancer and also after the treatment,” explained Lupita Townsend, clinical dietitian at the Miami Cancer Institute.
“I have a lot of passion for food and cooking, and I think it comes off in the ingredients I put together,” said Chef Cindy. “My mom had colon cancer, so she needed the help and the health and so we started researching foods that boosted [the] immune system and [helped] with inflammatory problems and nausea.”
The curry red lentil and vegetable stew is made with several cancer-fighting ingredients and also makes for a great Mother’s day dish. Watch the video now.
Curry Red Lentil and Vegetable Stew
- 1 pound red lentils, washed
- 4-6 tablespoons olive oil
- 4 cups yellow onion, brunoised
- 3 cloves garlic, chopped
- 2 cups carrots, brunoised
- 2 cups celery, brunoised
- Half can tomato paste, low sodium
- 4 tablespoons fresh ginger juice
- 1 inch piece fresh turmeric, minced
- 1 teaspoon coriander
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 tablespoon madras curry powder
- 5 ounces can crushed tomatoes
- 1 can coconut milk
- 1 ½ quarts water or veggie stock (plus more as needed)
- Heat olive oil in a Dutch oven and stir in the onions, celery and garlic. Sauté until tender.
- Mix in tomato paste, curry powder, turmeric, ginger, coriander, cumin and paprika.
- Mix in the lentils and tomatoes, stirring well. Add the water and coconut milk.
- Bring to a boil then lower to a simmer, cover and cook for about 30 minutes, checking every 10 minutes.
- Mix in the carrots and continues cooking until carrots are tender. It may be necessary to add more water or stock.
- Season with salt and pepper.
Optional: Serve with brown rice, farro or your favorite grain. It’s nice to top with an avocado and tomato salad tossed in olive oil and lime juice.
Easy Avocado and Cucumber Salad
- 1 pound seasonal heirloom tomatoes small diced
- 1 English cucumber, semi peeled and diced
- ½ cup red onion, brunoised
- 2 avocados, diced
- 2-3 tablespoons lemon juice
- 4 tablespoons sunflower or avocado oil
- ½ cup Cilantro, loosely packed
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- A few turns of fresh black pepper mill
- Mix all ingredients in stainless steel bowl and toss.