April 20, 2018 by John Fernandez
Fueling for a Workout: Stuffed Mushroom Tacos (Video)
When it comes to “fueling” for a workout, it helps to eat a light meal high in carbs about two to three hours before your exercise routine.
Chef Rod Knight, executive chef at West Kendall Baptist Hospital, shows us how to make a multi-grain taco. This is especially useful for those who will be participating in the ZooRun 5k, taking place Saturday, November 11.
(Watch Chef Rod Knight prepare a multi-grain taco.)
Stuffed Mushroom Tacos
½ cup cooked red quinoa
½ cup cooked mixed grain blend
½ cup quick pickled onions (see below)
Half of a small white onion diced
1 small avocado
4 baby radishes sliced thinly
2 cups mixed mushroom
1 plantain sliced into 1 inch segments
4 whole wheat low sodium tacos
1 green onion thinly sliced for garnish
Cilantro (stems removed)
2 table spoons Olive oil
½ cup vinegar
Red pepper flakes
Cracked black pepper
- Cook grains and quinoa according to package instructions.
- Cut the red onion in half and thinly sliced. Place in a small bowl and set aside.
- Bring vinegar to boil in a small pan or microwave and pour onto the sliced onions. Let sit for at least 20 minutes.
- Using the back of a knife, smash the plantains into thin disks. Heat a medium-sized skillet. Once the pan is hot, apply pan cooking spray and place the smashed plantains into the pan. Wait until you to see the sugar in the plantain caramelize on one side, then flip and repeat. Once these are done, you can set them aside until assembly.
- Return the pan to the heat. Once the pan is hot, add a tablespoon of olive oil and the diced white onion. Sautee until caramelized, then add both the red quinoa and mixed grains – season with cumin, black pepper, and red pepper flakes to taste. Set aside until assembly.
- For the mushroom, add the remaining olive oil to a very hot pan. Sautee the mushroom with a pinch of black pepper and red pepper flakes. Keep them moving so that they don’t scorch.
- To build the taco, warm your tortillas. First add a layer of red quinoa and mixed grains, then a layer of mushrooms, then the plantains. Add the pickled red onion, then the radishes, sliced avocado and cilantro. Eat and enjoy!
Yield 4 portions
Serving 1 taco
Total fat 9g
Sat fat 1g