November 24, 2021 by John Fernandez
A Dairy-Free Ice Cream Alternative
Looking for a dairy-free ice cream alternative? Look no more. Chef Rod Knight, executive chef at West Kendall Baptist Hospital, shows us how to make this tasty and refreshing “cream sickle” made with coconut yogurt and caramelized orange juice.
(Video: The Baptist Health South Florida News Team joined Chef Rod in the kitchen. Video by George Carvalho.)
Dairy Free Orange “Cream Sickle”
- Zest of 1 orange
- Juice of 4 oranges
- 3 cups of dairy free vanilla coconut yogurt
- Bamboo skewer
- Popsicle mold
- Combine orange zest with yogurt mix and set aside
- Bring a medium-sized skillet up to temperature, once the skillet is hot add the orange juice.
- Reduce the orange and allow the natural sugars to slightly caramelize.
- To assemble, fill the popsicle molds roughly 3/4 from the top.
- Place in the freezer and allow the yogurt to freeze half way.
- Remove from the freezer, using the bamboo skewer poke a hole in the yogurt, fill the cavity with the orange syrup.
- Return to freezer for 3 hours minimum
Serve and enjoy!