January 23, 2020 by John Fernandez
Care On Demand Ushers in a New Era in Digital Health
For those old enough to remember when doctors used to make house calls, there is a fast-growing trend in healthcare that now brings the doctor to you via your phone, tablet or computer.
Baptist Health South Florida launched its virtual urgent care service, Care On Demand, in 2017. But it’s making a bigger push this year as more and more people have discovered its advantages and grown comfortable with the idea of virtual visits with their doctor.
“Virtual medicine is growing in popularity because it’s convenient, accessible and affordable. Our visits have increased 500 percent over last year,” said David Mishkin, M.D., Medical Director of Baptist Health Care On Demand. “We see it as the future of healthcare, and we aim to be a leader in that space.”
Baptist Health, the largest not-for-profit health system in South Florida, pioneered the concept of urgent care centers in the region and today has 25 such centers from the Florida Keys to Palm Beach County. Care On Demand is a natural extension of Baptist Health’s urgent care network, allowing patients with non-life-threatening illness or injury to bypass busy emergency rooms and get 24/7 online access to its trusted doctors and specialists.
Baptist Health Care On Demand is easy to use. Patients simply download the free Care On Demand app on their iPhone, laptop or computer, provide a bit of personal information, and then request a virtual visit that immediately connects them with a Baptist Health doctor. Consultations typically last 10 to 15 minutes and, if prescription medicines are needed, they can be sent instantly to your pharmacy.
While the service is intended to complement – not replace – traditional visits with your doctor, the advantages of Care On Demand are easily appreciated.
Benefits of Using Baptist Health Care On Demand
• No appointment required. Get instant online access – in real time, nationwide – to a Baptist Health doctor or specialist 24 hours a day, seven days a week, 365 days a year.
• You no longer have to take hours away from your busy schedule to drive to your doctor’s office and then wait to be seen.
• You can get the urgent care you need for a wide variety of non-life-threatening conditions, without the wait times and cost of a hospital-based emergency room.
• No waiting for the pharmacy to fill your prescription; it will be ready and waiting for you by the time you get there. (Some pharmacy chains even offer free delivery to your home or office.)
• No surprise charges – virtual visits are just $59 and no subscription is required nor insurance needed. Baptist Health Care On Demand also comes with a no-risk, money-back guarantee.
Baptist Health Care On Demand started the year with three service lines – Urgent Care, Mental Health Counseling, and Psychiatry – and has since added Cancer Symptom Management, Breastfeeding Support, Weight Loss Surgery Follow-up, and Diet & Nutrition. More Care On Demand services will be added in the future.
In a letter published Sunday, September 15 in all the major local newspapers, Brian E. Keeley, President & CEO of Baptist Health South Florida, invited all area residents to experience this new way to see a doctor.
“This is just one of many ways Baptist Health is making affordable healthcare easier and more convenient for you,” Mr. Keeley wrote. “To celebrate this milestone in digital health, we are offering a FREE online urgent care visit to everyone who lives in South Florida. We want you to experience a better way to get better!”
People who want to take advantage of the offer can use the code FREEURGENTCARE when launching the app for their first virtual visit, according to Mr. Keeley.