From Baptist Health South Florida
1 min. read
South Florida’s farmers market season is in full swing, when winter produce is grown and harvested for consumers in Florida and beyond.
This healthy recipe includes fresh vegetables and seasonings grown locally, including at the Grow2Heal Community Garden at Homestead Hospital. Provided by Thi Squire, community garden project manager, the vegan plate recipe is made with beets and radishes, two of many produce items harvested and sold in South Florida this time of year.
1 bunch beets with tops
1 cup garbanzo beans
1 bunch radishes
½ onion diced
3 cloves garlic
3 sprigs fresh thyme or ¼ tsp dried thyme
½ cup mint leaves
Juice of 1 lemon
1/3 cup + 1 tbsp olive oil
2 cups cooked wild rice blend
Salt & pepper to taste
1. Heat oven to 350.
2. Make dressing by combining lemon juice, roasted garlic, chopped mint, olive oil a pinch of salt and pepper in a blender. Set aside.
3. Wrap beet roots, radishes, 2 sprigs thyme and 1 clove of garlic in foil. Place on cooking tray, and roast for 45 minutes or until radishes and beets are fork tender.
4. Meanwhile, wash and roughly chop up beet tops and mince remaining garlic.
5. In a heated sauté pan, add 1 tbsp olive oil, onions and garlic. Cook till onions and garlic are translucent and aromatic.
6. Add beet greens and cook on medium heat, stirring until greens are wilted and tender, about 5-6 minutes. Remove from heat when done.
7. Remove beets and radishes from oven and let cool. Reserve roasted garlic.
8. Peel and cut beets into cubes and set aside. Slice roasted radishes and set aside.
9. Mix cubed beets and garbanzo beans in a bowl, and add enough dressing to coat.
10.Assemble in a bowl or plate the wild rice topped with the beet greens, beet and garbanzo mixture and radishes. Drizzle more dressing over top, if desired.
Nutritional information (per serving): 379 calories; 36g total carbohydrate; 6g natural sugar; 24g monounsaturated fat; 46g sodium; 11g protein.
Sep. 15, 2022
2 min. read
May. 18, 2022
3 min. read
Dec. 29, 2021
4 min. read