September 25, 2018 by John Fernandez
#BaptistHealthy Recipe: Chickpea Salad (Video)
Chickpea Salad is a healthy, easy-to-make dish that’s a plant-based alternative to chicken salad. Chickpeas are an excellent source of protein and rich in selenium, iron, vitamin B-6 and magnesium. Full of minerals important to overall health, chickpeas are also a good source of vitamin K, folate, phosphorus, zinc, copper, manganese and choline.
Serve this Chickpea Salad as a main dish, in a sandwich or wrap, or as a dip. It’s a meatless option that makes for a nice addition at a barbecue, picnic, potluck or any time you want to impress friends and guests with a tasty alternative to traditional chicken or turkey salad.
Video by George Carvalho
Chickpea types to use in this recipe include canned chickpeas with no salt or seasoning, dried chickpeas that are soaked in water before use or home cooked chickpeas.
Makes 8 servings
- 2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon apple cider
- 1 tablespoon nutritional yeast
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- 1 16-ounce can unsalted chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 1 16-ounce can unsalted cannellini beans, drained
- 1 stalk celery, diced
- 1 apple, diced
- 1 teaspoon dried dill
- In a medium-size bowl, whisk together mustard, olive oil, tahini, apple cider, yeast and black pepper.
- In a separate bowl, add chickpeas and beans. Smash with fork until softened and mix. Mix in celery and apple.
- Fold mustard-tahini sauce into chickpea mixture. Add dill to taste.
- Refrigerate until cool and serve.
Nutritional information (per 1/2 cup serving): Calories 177, Fat 4g, Saturated Fat 0g, sodium 62mg, Carbohydrate 28g, Protein 8g.