February 21, 2020 by John Fernandez
#BaptistHealthy Easy Eats: Veggie Tofu Scramble
Tired of eating eggs in the morning and want to try something new? Give this plant-based recipe a try. Did you know that one serving of tofu has just as much protein as one egg — without all the cholesterol?
Tofu is made from blending whole soybeans into a paste. Soybeans are rich in phytochemicals (healthy compounds found in plants) and antioxidants. The use of turmeric and nutritional yeast provide Veggie Tofu Scramble with a delicious taste and a yellowish color that mimics the look and taste of eggs. The use of turmeric is rich in antioxidants and has anti-inflammatory properties. Nutritional yeast is a good source of Vitamin B12.
Veggie Tofu Scramble
Makes 3 servings
- 1 tablespoon garlic, minced
- 1/2 cup onion, chopped
- 1 cup zucchini, chopped
- 1 cup peppers, chopped (whichever flavor you prefer)
- Tofu, block
- 1 tablespoon turmeric powder
- 1 tablespoon nutritional yeast
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- ¼ teaspoon pepper and salt (to taste)
- 2 cups spinach, fresh
- Plate with seasoned home potatoes and roasted tomatoes
- In saucepan add oil, onion, garlic, zucchini and peppers. Saute veggies until tender.
- Crumble up tofu and add seasonings.
- Cook on medium heat until veggies are well cooked.
- Add spinach and cover until wilted.
- Stir and serve.
Nutritional Information (per serving): Calories 94, Total fat 2g, Saturated fat 0g, Sodium 90mg, Carbohydrates 14g, Fiber 6g, Protein 8g.
About Natalie Castro
Natalie Castro is a registered dietitian and the nutrition and wellness manager at Baptist Health South Florida, where she oversees the food and nutrition policy for the organization. Ms. Castro earned a bachelor’s degree in nutrition and dietetics from Florida International University and a master’s degree in nutrition and exercise science from State University of New York at Buffalo (University of Buffalo). She believes a food environment supported by healthy choices fosters healthier lifestyle habits. She is certified in adult weight management by the Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics, and her research is published in several peer-reviewed medical journals.